As we look forward to 2010, many of us consider what changes we want to make in our lives to be better in the New Year: better parents, spouses, employees, etc. Have you considered what you can do (or continue to do) to be a better driver? Robert Wakefield, Special Projects Coordinator for the Ohio Traffic Safety Office, whose mission it is to save lives and reduce injuries on Ohio's Roadways, suggests you add these 10 things to your list of resolutions.
Top 10 New Year Resolutions for Traffic Safety
10. To yield to pedestrians.
9. To slow down and move over when approaching an emergency vehicle on the side of the road.
8. To give myself plenty of distance between me and the vehicle in front of me.
7. To give myself plenty of time and not to rush.
6. To be courteous to other drivers and to use my turn signals.
5. To use my common sense by paying attention when I drive and to drive responsibly.
4. To never drink and drive.
3. To not let others drink and drive.
2. To make sure everyone in my vehicle is buckled up.
1. To always wear my seat belt.
Share these top 10 New Years Resolutions with your friends, family and others in your community. By following these 10 resolutions, we can save lives and reduce injuries on Ohio's roadways.
TRAFFIC SAFETY WEB SITES TO ASSIST YOU DURING THE UPCOMING YEAR
- The Ohio Department of Public Safety http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/
- The Ohio Traffic Safety Office http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
- The Federal Highway Administration http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/
2009/2010 OHIO TRAFFIC SAFETY OFFICE COMMUNICATIONS CALENDAR
When is Child Passenger Safety Week in 2010. How about motorcycle awareness month? And let's not forget the "Click It or Ticket" and "Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest." national mobilizations. You can find these important dates along with others on the Communications Calendar posted on the OTSO Web site at: http://ohiohighwaysafetyoffice.ohio.gov/2009_2010_OTSOCalendar.xls
STATE CRASH MAP - 2008 vs. 2009 Year-to-Date Fatality Comparison The map at the following link illustrates a 2008 vs. 2009 year-to-date fatality comparison for each county. Click on an individual county to view its three-year fatal crash history. http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/fatal_comp.stm
The Columbus Chamber wishes you and yours the very best for a happy, healthy and safe New Year!